Sunday, September 26, 2010

GC12BCF - My first Geocache

         This is sampson028. As the leader of our fantastic team I will most likely be doing most of the posts, and most on our team were introduced to geo-caching by myself. For that reason I would like to take some time. I first was introduced to geocaching while vacationing on the west coast. My father-in-law had some travel bugs sitting around and I tend to be a pretty curious person, so I inquired as to what they were. He explained that the code on them relates to a site, where I can track it as geocachers pick it up, and trade it for other trackables, and it moves across the world. At this point I had to ask "what's a geocache?"
         His explanation didn't excite me to much. It sounded like that guy everyone thought was crazy from that movie "National Treasure."
         The cache "Reflections is actually just a few minute walk from their house, and they were aware this cache was there. My skepticism lingered however I decided to go along with it and find the cache. It was a micro-cache, and it didn't impress me much. However when I finally stopped focusing on the geocache and stopped to look around, I realized that it was such a beautiful spot. It was a view I had seen often because we had to drive by it to go to their house, but seeing something when you are driving by, and actually getting out, standing on the side of the road and looking is a completely different thing. It was such a beautiful spot. I grew up in Nova Scotia, and it had a great view of the ocean, which I haven't really seen since moving to Toronto. Lake Ontario is close, but it's not the Ocean. It was beautiful.
         I was still skeptical, but I really enjoyed the experience. It wasn't until the next two caches that I really caught the excitement of geocaching. I'll write about it in my next post, and soon enough I'll get to some of my most recent adventures! Good luck with your finds!
         Sampson028 and the Chazowntrekerz.

No comments: